We have actually just recently seen a few news reports about carbon monoxide gas poising being linked back to a water heater as the source and so felt it crucial to share some about that possibility today. Yes, any nonrenewable fuel source burning device creates this lethal gas. Consisting of water heaters. Nevertheless, with the proper installation of the water heater, in addition to routine upkeep, and a working CO2 detector in the house, one can sleep securely.
Causes of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that is a bi-product of the burning of a fossil fuel like wood, gasoline, coal, natural gas, or kerosene. Breathing in carbon monoxide gas fumes not only prevents oxygen from being used properly by the body, however likewise triggers harm to the central nervous system. Persons with existing health troubles such as heart and lung condition are especially susceptible, as are infants, children, pregnant women, and the elderly.
Sources of Carbon Monoxide
The cold weather heating period is when a bulk of carbon monoxide exposures happen due to using unvented supplemental heaters. An unvented supplemental heater is a kind of space heater that uses indoor air for heating and vents the gases produced in the heating process out into the house. Most heaters of this type use kerosene or natural gas for fuel. While newer designs have oxygen sensing units that turned off the heater when the oxygen level in the area falls below a specific level, older designs do not have such safety functions. Because of these safety problems, unvented space heaters have actually been banned in a number of states. Other sources of carbon monoxide are malfunctioning cooking equipment, tobacco smoke, obstructed chimneys, automobile exhaust, malfunctioning furnaces and gas clothing dryers, wood burning fireplaces, and a hot water heater.
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Below are the most usual signs of carbon monoxide poisoning but they are not always the very same for each person who has been exposed and many times are similar to having food poisoning or the flu. A physician can assist in identifying for sure.
nausea and throwing up
loss of hearing
loss of consciousness or coma
Defense By Proper Gas Appliance Ventilation
The CDC offers the following info on avoiding CO2 poisoning by making sure ones appliances are vented properly.
- All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
- Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Have your chimney checked or cleaned every year. Chimneys can be blocked by debris. This can cause CO to build up inside your home or cabin.
- Never patch a vent pipe with tape, gum, or something else. This kind of patch can make CO build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
- Horizontal vent pipes to fuel appliances should not be perfectly level. Indoor vent pipes should go up slightly as they go toward outdoors. This helps prevent CO or other gases from leaking if the joints or pipes aren’t fitted tightly. (read more…)
It is certainly crucial to have CO2 detectors in the home. The Colorado State University Extension offers the following suggestions when picking a CO2 alarm.
- Some inexpensive alarms consist of a card with a spot (spot detectors) that changes color in the presence of CO. The absence of an audible signal does not meet UL or IAS requirements for alarms, so these devices do not provide adequate warning of CO.
- Some CO alarms have a sensor that must be replaced every year or so. The expense of this part should be a factor in purchase decisions.
- Battery-operated alarms are portable and will function during a power failure, which is when emergency heating might be used. Batteries must be replaced, although some alarms have long-life batteries that will last up to five years.
- Line-powered alarms (110 volt) require electrical outlets but do not need batteries. They will not function during a power failure. Some line-powered alarms have battery backups.
- Some alarms have digital readouts indicating CO levels. Alarms with memories can help document and correct CO problems. (read more…)
The following video provides some good safety suggestions for water heaters.
Not to scare anybody, but we likewise wished to include the following video of a water heater install that is not working correctly and is hazardous.
Please see a physician promptly if you presume that you or a member of your household might have carbon monoxide gas poisoning. Water Heater Repair Long Beach CA can not stress enough the need of seeing to it a professional plumbing repair company services and installs any water heater equipment in your house or business.